Sunday, April 27, 2008

CLAN BRAAM'S MUSICAL DEBUTS...

Welcome to the Digital Age, when I can proudly declare that my family has FULLY embraced technology.

Not only have we finally got Dave onto the web, both our mums sending text messages, and almost all our aunts and siblings sending regular emails, but now, my sister Sangeet, now based in faraway Holland, has discovered YouTube! And despite such issues as "a beat up piano, lousy acoustics and an annoying three year old who thought jolting the video camera was fun", has put up videos of my wonderful musician-nieces, Dominque and Nicola. Watch this space, because Danielle's trumpet video is yet to come!

The last time we saw them, both - plus youngest Dianelle - were fighting for "lap space" on Pete and me at our wedding. Its amazing how much kids grow when you're not looking. Its hard to imagine that I held Nicola the day she was born at Mount E, and then was sent to Paragon in search of decent local food for the new Mum. And that, thanks to my crazy hours when I was a sub-editor, I did some of the night feeds for the twins when they were born, and got pretty accustomed to that heady scent of formula, bottle disinfectant, poop, and "baby" that hung in the air (someone should bottle it, really).

We're pretty lucky that we can watch Divya and Reuben grow up, since they not only live in Singapore but practically up the street. And technology means that through digital shots, YouTube, this blog even, we get to vicariously track Sangeet's kids, and Dave's and Gwen's. What makes me sad, though, is that we never had that option with Honey's kids, who are now all in their mid-20s and beginning illustrious careers of their own. We love them like crazy, too, and on some level, MSN, SMS, and having to travel to London for work has allowed me to remain close to Kirti. But what I really mean is those growing years, the darndest things they say (one niece, at my wedding, tried to convince me I shouldn't do it, because otherwise then who would marry her???). Still, I guess I should be grateful that we're getting this chance now, and without any further rambling..... Presenting Clan Braam:

Dominique, 7, plays E. Mollenhauer's Infant Paganini on the violin:



And Nicola, 10, plays J Haydn's Concertino in C on the piano, with three talented schoolmates.



Hope you enjoy them as much as we did!

Art

Comments on "CLAN BRAAM'S MUSICAL DEBUTS..."

 

post a comment